Advanced Professional Positions
- 2010 – present Full Professor (W3), Department of Medicine IV, University Hospital Freiburg, Germany
- 2010 – present Adjunct Professor, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Professional Experience and Postdoctoral Training
- 2007 – 2009 Research Associate/Junior Faculty, Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, USA, Department head: Gerald Hart
- 2004 – 2007 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA, Mentor: Craig Montell
- 2000 – 2004 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Nephrology, University Hospital Freiburg, Germany, Mentor: Gerd Walz
- 1998 – 2000 Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Physiology, University of Freiburg , Germany, Mentor: Rainer Greger
- 1997 – 1998 Residency, Department of Nephrology, University Hospital Freiburg, Germany, Mentor: Peter Schollmeyer
- 2007 Habilitation (Experimental Medicine), Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, Germany, Mentor: Gerd Walz
- 1997 Dr. med. (Physiology), Department of Physiology, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, Germany, Mentor: Rainer Greger
- 1997 School of Medicine, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, Germany
Honours, Awards, Scholarships and Other Qualifications
- 2009 Offer for tenure track faculty position in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA
- 2009 German Researcher Relocation Program Award, Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Foundation
- 2009 Cozzarelli Prize, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA
- 2009 Head of the Clinical Research Unit 201, DFG, Germany
- 2008 Young Investigator Career Development Grant, PKD Foundation, USA
- 2007 National Kidney Foundation "Young Investigator Award"
- 2005 PKD Foundation Research Fellowship, USA
- 1997 Award of the Scientific Society Freiburg for doctoral thesis
Professional Activities, Memberships
- 2000 - present Member of the German Physiological Society
- 2007 - present Member of the American Society of Nephrology
- 2009 - present Associate Editor, Nephron Physiology
- Boehlke C, Kotsis F, Patel V, Braeg S, Voelker H, Bredt S, Beyer T, Janusch H, Hamann C, Godel M, Muller K, Herbst M, Hornung M, Doerken M, Köttgen M, Nitschke R, Igarashi P, Walz G, Kuehn EW. Primary cilia regulate mTORC1 activity and cell size through Lkb1. Nat Cell Biol 12:1115-1122, 2010.
- Woodward OM, Köttgen A, Coresh, J Boerwinkle E, Guggino WB, Köttgen M. Identification of a urate transporter, ABCG2, with a common functional polymorphism causing gout. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 106:10338-10342, 2009.
- Wegierski T, Steffl D, Kopp C, Tauber R, Buchholz B, Nitschke R, Kuehn EW, Walz G, Köttgen M. TRPP2 channels regulate apoptosis through the Ca2+ concentration in the endoplasmic reticulum. EMBO J 28:490-499, 2009.
- Köttgen M, Buchholz B, Garcia-Gonzalez MA, Kotsis F, Fu X, Doerken M, Boehlke C, Steffl D, Tauber R, Wegierski T, Nitschke R, Suzuki M, Kramer-Zucker A, Germino GG, Watnick T, Prenen J, Nilius B, Kuehn EW Walz G. TRPP2 and TRPV4 form a polymodal sensory channel complex. J Cell Biol 182:437-447, 2008.
- Köttgen M, Benzing T, Simmen T, Tauber R, Buchholz B, Feliciangeli S, Huber TB, Schermer B, Kramer-Zucker A, Hopker K, Simmen KC, Tschucke CC, Sandford R, Kim E, Thomas G, Walz G. Trafficking of TRPP2 by PACS proteins represents a novel mechanism of ion channel regulation. EMBO J 24:705-716, 2005.