Advanced Professional Positions
- 2008 – present, Professor of Chemical Biology and Chemical Genetics (W3), LMU Munich
- 2006 – 2008 Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, U.S.A.
- 2000 – 2006 Associate Professor (Tenure), Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, U.S.A.
Professional Experience and Postdoctoral Training
- 1998 – 2000 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Sloan-Kettering Institute for Cancer Research, New York City, NY, USA, Advisor: S. J. Danishefsky
- 1997 Conferral of doctorate in Organic Chemistry, University of Vienna, Austria, Mentor: J. Mulzer
- 1995 Diploma (Chemistry), Free University Berlin, Germany, Mentor: J. Mulzer
- 1992–1995 Studied Chemistry, Free University Berlin, Germany
- 1988–1991 Studied Biochemistry, University of Vienna, Austria
- 1986–1988 Studied Biology, University of Vienna, Austria
Honours, Awards, Scholarships and Other Qualifications
- 2013 Kitasato Microbial Chemistry Medal
- 2011 European Research Council Advanced Investigator Grant
- 2011 Hofmann Lecture, Imperial College, London
- 2010 Givaudan/Karrer Distinguished Visiting Professor, University of Zurich
- 2010 Andy Derome Lecture, University of Oxford
- 2010 Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowship
- 2008 Roche Excellence in Chemistry Award
- 2007 Schulich Lecturer, Technion, Israel
- 2004 – 2006 Japanese-American Frontiers of Science Fellow
- 2001 – 2004 Merck Research Laboratories Chemistry Council Research Award
- 1997 Austrian Chemical Society Award (best thesis of the year 1997)
Professional Activities, Memberships
- 2011 – present, Corresponding Member, Austrian Academy of Sciences (ÖAW)
- 2009 – present, Graduate School Life Science Munich (LSM)
- 2008 – present, Center for Integrated Protein Science Munich (CIPSM)
- 2008 – present, Munich Center for Neurosciences (MCN)
- 2008 – present, Center for NanoScience (CeNS), American Chemical Society, German Chemical Society (GDCh)
Austrian Chemical Society (GOeCh)
- Stein M, Middendorp SJ; Carta V, Pejo E, Raines DE, Forman SA, Sigel E, Trauner D. Azo-propofols: photochromic potentiators of GABAA receptors. Angew Chem Int Ed 51:10500–10504, 2012.
- Mourot A, Fehrentz T, Le Feuvres Y, Smith C, Herold C, Dalkara D, Trauner D, Kramer RH. Rapid optical control of nociception with an ion-channel photoswitch. Nature Meth 9:396-402, 2012.
- Tochitsky I, Banghart MR, Mourot A, Zhao JZ, Gaub B, Kramer R, Trauner, D. Optical control of genetically engineered nicotinic acetyl choline receptors. Nature Chemistry 4:105-111, 2012.
- Banghart MR, Mourot A, Fortin DL, Yao JZ, Kramer RH, Trauner D. Photochromic blockers of voltage-gated potassium channels. Angew Chem Int Ed 48:9097-9101, 2009.
- Volgraf M, Gorostiza P, Numano R, Kramer, RH, Isacoff E, Trauner D. Allosteric control of an ionotropic glutamate receptor with an optical switch. Nature Chem Biol 1:47-52, 2006.