Advanced Professional Positions
- 2011 – present Group Leader, LMU Munich, Walther-Straub Institute for Pharmacology and Toxicology,
Head of institute: Thomas Gudermann
Professional Experience and Postdoctoral Training
- 2010 – 2011 Scientist, The Queen’s Medical Center, Center for Biomedical Research, John A. Burn’s School of Medicine, Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A., Head of institute: Reinhold Penner
- 2007 – 2010 Postdoctoral Fellow, The Queen’s Medical Center, Honolulu, U.S.A, Advisors: Reinhold Penner / Andrea Fleig
- 2007 PhD thesis (Cell Biology), Dept. of Cell Biology, Paris-Lodron University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Mentor: Hubert H. Kerschbaum
- 2007 Diploma (Biology/Environmental Studies and Mathematics), Dept. of Biology and Mathematics,
Paris-Lodron University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria, Mentors: Hubert H Kerschbaum / Johannes Czermak
- 2004 Diploma (Biology/Genetics), Dept. of Cell Biology, Paris-Lodron University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria,
Mentor: Hubert H. Kerschbaum
Honours, Awards, Scholarships and Other Qualifications
- 2012 – 2016 Marie Curie Fellowship, FP7-PEOPLE-2012-CIG grant no. 322185, Research Executive Agency, Brussels, Belgium
- 2012 DGPT Poster Price awarded by the Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology, 78th DGPT Congress, Dresden, Germany
- 2008 – 2010 Postdoctoral Fellowship Grant (Schroedinger Stipend) no. J2784, Austrian Science Fund (FWF), Vienna, Austria
- 2006 Sackler-Prize (awarded by Mundipharma) at the University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
- 2006 PENS School, Full Scholarship Award, ‘The Brain as target for inflammatory processes’, Berlin, Germany
- 2004 – 2006 Doctoral Fellowship Grant (DOC-FFORTE) no. 21686, Austrian Academy of Sciences (OEAW), Vienna, Austria
- 2002,2004 Academic Excellence Scholarship of the Paris-Lodron University Salzburg, Austria
Professional Activities, Memberships
- 2013 – present Marie Curie Fellows Association (MCFA)
- 2011 – present German Society of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology (DGPT): Society of Pharmacology
- 2008 – present American Association of Immunologists (AAI)
- 2004 – 2010 Austrian Neuroscience Association (ANA)
- 2004 – 2010 Alumni Austrian Academy of Sciences (Alumni/ae ÖAW)
Solinski HJ, Zierler S, Gudermann T, Breit A. Human sensory neuron-specific Mas-related G protein-coupled receptors-X1 sensitize and directly activate transient receptor potential cation channel V1 via distinct signaling pathways. J Biol Chem 287:40956-40971, 2012.
Zierler S, Yao G, Zhang Z, Kuo WC, Porzgen P, Penner R, Horgen FD, Fleig A. Waixenicin A inhibits cell proliferation through magnesium-dependent block of transient receptor potential melastatin 7 (TRPM7) channels. J Biol Chem 286:39328-39335, 2011.
Ryazanova LV, Rondon LJ, Zierler S, Hu Z, Galli J, Mazur A, Fleig A, Ryazanov AG. TRPM7 is essential for Mg2+ homeostasis in mammals. Nat Commun 1:109, 2010.
Lis A, Zierler S, Peinelt C, Fleig A, & Penner R. A single lysine in the N terminal region of store-operated channels is critical for STIM1-mediated gating. J Gen Phys 136:673-686, 2010.
Zierler S, Frei E, Grissmer S & Kerschbaum HH. Chloride influx provokes lamellipodium formation in microglial cells. Cell Physiol Biochem 21:55-62, 2008.