Advanced Professional Positions
- 2011 – present Full Professor, Head Dept. General Pharmacology, Heidelberg University
- 2004 – 2011 Associate Professor (C3), Experimental Pharmacology and Preclinical Disease Models, University of Saarland and Head of the Transgenic Mouse Facility (SPF) of the Medical Faculty
- 2000 – 2004 Head of the Research Group „Transgenic mouse models“ at the Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Saarland
Professional Experience and Postdoctoral Training
- 1998 – 1999 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Saarland University, Advisor: V. Flockerzi
- 1996 – 1997 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Pharmacology, University of Heidelberg, Advisor: V. Flockerzi
- 2002 Habilitation (Pharmacology and Toxicology), Saarland University, Mentor: Prof. Dr. V. Flockerzi
- 1995 Doctor of Medicine, Medical Biochemistry, Saarland University, Mentor: V. Flockerzi
- 1995 – 1996 “Arzt im Praktikum“, University of Heidelberg, Department of Internal Medicine and Pharmacology (“Approbation“)
- 1988 – 1994 Medical School at Saarland University
Honours, Awards, Scholarships and Other Qualifications
- 2002 Alois Lauer Research Grant, University of Saarland
- 2000 Scholarship of the Novartis-Foundation for Therapeutic Research
- 1996 von Recklinghausen Award of the German Society of Endocrinology
Professional Activities, Memberships
- since 2012 Principal Investigator at the partner site Heidelberg in the “Deutsches Zentrum für Herz-Kreislauf- Forschung e.V. (DZHK)
- since 2012 Faculty Member der “Hartmut Hoffmann-Berling International Graduate School of Molecular and Cellular Biology (HBIGS)“
- since 2012 Member of the Excellence cluster CellNetworks
- since 2011 Member of the “Ethikkommission“ of the Medical Faculty, Heidelberg University
- 2006-2011 Member (2009-2011 chairmen) of the animal welfare committe of the Saarland for the evaluation of animal experiments
- 2006-2011 Vice-Chairman of the DFG Graduate School 1326 “Calcium Signaling and Cellular Nanodomains“
- Weissgerber P, Kriebs U, Tsvilovskyy V, Olausson J, Kretz O, Stoerger C, Vennekens R, Wissenbach U, Middendorff R, Flockerzi V, Freichel M. Male fertility depends on Ca2+ absorption by TRPV6 in epididymal epithelia. Science Signaling 4:ra27, 2011.
- Mathar I, Vennekens R, Meissner M, Kees F, Van der Mieren G, Camacho Londono JE, Uhl S, Voets T, Hummel B, van den Bergh A, Herijgers P, Nilius B, Flockerzi V, Schweda F, Freichel M. Increased catecholamine secretion contributes to hypertension in TRPM4-deficient mice. J Clin Invest 120:3267-79, 2010.
- Vennekens R, Olausson J, Meissner M, Bloch W, Mathar I, Philipp SE, Schmitz F, Weissgerber P, Nilius B, Flockerzi V, Freichel M. Increased IgE-dependent mast cell activation and anaphylactic responses in mice lacking the calcium-activated nonselective cation channel TRPM4. Nat Immunol 8:312-20, 2007.
- Weissgerber P, Held B, Bloch W, Kaestner L, Chien KR, Fleischmann BK, Lipp P, Flockerzi V, Freichel M. Reduced cardiac L-type Ca2+ current in CaVβ2(-/-) embryos impairs cardiac development and contraction with secondary defects in vascular maturation. Circulation Research 99:749-757, 2006.