Advanced Professional Positions
- 2016 – present Co-Founder Center for Molecular Signaling (PZMS), Saarland University, Homburg
- 2012 – present Full Professor (W3), Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Saarland University, School of Medicine
Professional Experience and Postdoctoral Training
- 2004 – 2012 Group leader, Institute for Neural Signal Transduction, Center for Molecular Neurobiology Hamburg (ZMNH)
- 2002 – 2004 Research Associate, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Lab head: Linda Buck
- 2000 – 2002 Postdoctoral fellow, Harvard Medical School, Boston (Emmy Noether grant of the DFG), Lab head: Linda Buck
- 1999 – 2000 Postdoctoral fellow, Institute for Genetics, University of Cologne, Lab head: Jonathan Howard
- 1994 – 1999 PhD thesis, University of Cologne, Institute of Genetics, Supervisor: Professor Jonathan
- 1993 – 1994 Diploma (Biology), University of Cologne, Institute of Genetics, Head of Department: Peter Starlinger
- 1988 – 1993 Studies of Biology (Diploma) and Philosophy (Magister), University of Cologne
Honours, Awards, Scholarships and Other Qualifications
- 2017 Co-Founder and President of the European Center for Reproductive Endocrinology (EUCRE)
- 2017 Deputy Speaker of the excellence cluster proposal The Calcium Signature of Saarland University
- 2014 Project Leader and Chair, Trilateral Project "Functional role of TET-dependent DNA demethylation in reproduction and hormone-dependent cancers"
- 2012 Declined call to become Professor for Molecular Neurobiology and Developmental Neurophysiology at the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
- 2012 Basic Science Chair of COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology)-action BM1105 "GnRH deficiency: Elucidation of the neuroendocrine control of human reproduction"
- 2011 Declined call to become Assistent Professor (tenure track) at Harvard Medical School, Boston
- 2000 – 2002 Emmy Noether fellowship (DFG)
- 1994 Diplom mit Auszeichnung ('Honors')
- Yosefzon Y, David C, Tsukerman A, Pnueli L, Qiao S, Boehm U, Melamed P. An epigenetic switch repressing Tet1 in gonadotropes activates the reproductive axis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114:10131-10136, 2017.
- Djogo T, Robins SC, Kryzskaya D, Schneider S, Liu X, Mingay A, Gillon C, Storch KF, Boehm U, Bourque CW, Stroh T, Dimou L, Kokoeva MV. Adult NG2-glia are required for median eminence-mediated leptin sensing and body weight control. Cell Metab 23:797–810, 2016.
- Boehm U, Bouloux PM, Dattani M, de Roux N, Dodé C, Dunkel L, Dwyer AA, Giacobini P, Hardelin JP, Juul A, Maghnie M, Pitteloud N, Prevot V, Raivio T, Tena-Sempere M, Quinton R, Young J. European consensus statement on congenital hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism: pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. Nat Rev Endocrinol 11:547-564, 2015.
- Voigt A, Bojahr J, Narukawa M, Hübner S, Boehm U*, Meyerhof W*. Transsynaptic tracing from taste receptor cells reveals local taste receptor gene expression in gustatory ganglia and brain. J Neurosci 35:9717-9729, 2015. *senior authors
- Kumar D, Freese M, Drexler D, Hermans-Borgmeyer I, Marquardt A, Boehm U. Murine arcuate nucleus kisspeptin neurons communicate with GnRH neurons in utero. J Neurosci 34:3756-3766, 2014.
- Piet R, Boehm U, Herbison AE. Estrous cycle plasticity in the hyperpolarization-activated current ih is mediated by circulating 17β-estradiol in preoptic area kisspeptin neurons. J Neurosci 33:10828-10839, 2013.
- Mayer C & Boehm U. Female reproductive maturation in the absence of kisspeptin/GPR54 signaling. Nat Neurosci 14:704-710, 2011.
- Mayer C, Acosta-Martinez M, Dubois S, Wolfe A, Radovick S, Boehm U*, Levine JE*. Timing and completion of puberty depend on estrogen receptor α signaling in kisspeptin neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107:22693-22698, 2010. *senior authors
- Wen S, Ai W, Alim Z, Boehm U. Embryonic GnRH signaling is necessary for maturation of the male reproductive axis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107:16372-16377, 2010.
- Boehm U, Zou Z, Buck LB. Feedback loops link odor and pheromone signaling with reproduction. Cell 123:683-695, 2005